Kathleen Farro Ryan practices in the firm’s State and Local Government Practice Area. Her practice consists primarily in the representation of local governments, private property owners, organizations, and developers. Kathy is the law director for Glendale, Arlington Heights, and the Village of Lockland in Ohio. Her representation of clients focuses on the following areas:
- Local Government
- Land Use and Zoning
- Drafting of Zoning Codes and Subdivision Regulations
- Historic Preservation
- Eminent Domain
- Real Estate Tax Exemption
- Agricultural use exemptions in township zoning and property tax
- Government Affairs
- Regulatory Takings
- Construction & Development
- Site Selection
- Inverse Condemnation
- Fair Housing Matters
- Nonprofit corporate procedures, governing document interpretation and amendments
Kathy enjoys presenting and training local government officials, related professionals, and citizens on matters concerning local government and the public hearing and adjudicative processes. Kathy was selected for inclusion in the 2020 and 2021 editions of Ohio Super Lawyers® as a Rising Star in land use and zoning.
Born and raised in Cincinnati, Ohio, Kathy now resides in Union, Kentucky with her husband and two children. Kathy is an avid genealogist. She is passionate about assisting organizations and individuals with family trees, genetic genealogy questions, and the preservation of historic records and gravestones.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Ohio and Kentucky State Bar Associations
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- The Three Branches of Government: Planning & Zoning Edition, David Allor Planning Workshop, February 2020, Cincinnati, Ohio, speaker.
- Local Government Law Land Use Panel Discussion, Cincinnati Bar Association, October 2019, Cincinnati, Ohio, speaker.
- Real Estate Development Law from Start to Finish National Business Institute, March 2019, Norwood, Ohio, speaker.
- Land Use Law: Current Issues in Subdivision, Annexation and Zoning, National Business
- Institute, November 2018, Columbus, Ohio, speaker.
- The Three Pillars of Planning & Zoning Administration: Legislative, Quasi-Judicial & Administrative Processes, David Allor Planning Workshop, February 2017, Cincinnati, Ohio, speaker.
- Reasonable Accommodation Review of Service Animals under the Americans with Disabilities Act and Fair Housing Act: The “Fact-Specific Inquiry”, Civil Rights Insider, Federal Bar Association, Fall 2016
- Planning and Zoning: A Legal Framework, Hamilton County Regional Planning Commission Planning Law Training Workshop, February 2015, Sharonville, Ohio, speaker.
- The Three Branches of Government: Planning & Zoning Edition, David Allor Planning Workshop, January 2015, Cincinnati, Ohio, speaker.
- Fairness in Siting of Nontraditional Housing, The Commissioner, The American Planning Association, Vol. 21, No. 1, February 2015.
- University of Cincinnati, Bachelor of Urban Planning, 2005
- Salmon P. Chase College of Law, J.D., 2012
- Ohio Super Lawyers – Named Rising Star, Zoning and Land Use, 2020, 2021 & 2022