Jeff Teeters is the chair of the firm’s Litigation practice area. The majority of his work focuses on assisting clients to manage their interactions with their competitors. He provides counsel and litigation services in the areas of business and commercial, antitrust, trade secrets, non-compete agreements, unfair competition, shareholder, director and officer disputes, and insurance coverage. Covering a wide range of industries, Jeff has handled well over 100 injunction hearings related to covenants not to compete, franchise disputes, insurance coverage, real estate, and trade secrets.
Jeff has been well recognized by his peers for his work in the business and commercial litigation field. He received the Ohio “Rising Star” designation from 2005 through 2007 and has been designated as an Ohio “Super Lawyer” each year from 2011 through the present for business litigation. On an even broader scale, Jeff is listed among the “Best Lawyers in America” from 2014 through the present in the field of commercial litigation.
He is also active in the profession and the community. In addition to serving on committees for the Cincinnati Bar Association. Jeff has been elected to serve a three-year term on the Council for the American Bar Association’s Litigation Section. He also serves on the editorial board for the ABA Litigation Section’s online and quarterly print magazine, Litigation News. Jeff has served on several civic and nonprofit boards, including recently serving six years chairing the board of Graceworks which provides a senior living retirement community and nursing home, home care, affordable housing for seniors, the senior companion program, and housing and care for adults with intellectual disabilities, in more than 50 locations in Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky.
Jeff and his wife, Robin, have two children and live in Hyde Park.
Memberships and Affiliations
- American Bar Association, Section of Litigation
- Section Council (2021 – 2024)
- Book Publishing Board (2014-2021; co-chair 2017-2021)
- Litigation News, Editorial Board (2008-present; Editor-in-Chief 2012-2013)
- Business Torts Journal, co-editor (2004 – 2008)
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Member of Admissions Committee (2012-present); Chair (2020-2021)
- Member of Fee Dispute Resolution Committee (2012-present)
- University of Dayton B.A., 1990
- University of Cincinnati College of Law J.D., 1993
- Bhambhani v. Innovative Health Solutions, Inc. 2022 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 106753 (June 14, 2022, D.Md.) (obtaining summary judgment to dismiss claims for RICO, fraud, civil conspiracy, and putative class action related to Medicare billing)
- Weeks v. United States Fire Ins. Co., 2022 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 93520 (May 26, 2022, S.D. Ohio) (Obtaining dismissal of putative class action complain related to travel insurance coverage premised upon COVID-related travel limitations)
- Carter v. Children’s Emergency Services, Inc., 2020-Ohio-509 (2nd Dist.) (obtaining and preserving summary judgment against claims related to Medicaid billing practices)
- Bhambhani v. Innovative Health Solutions, Inc., 2020 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 23515 (D. Md.) (obtaining dismissal of multiple claims related to Medicare billing and reimbursement practices)
- Hunter v. City of Highland Heights, KY, 2017 WL 1028568 (E.D. Ky.) (defeating Takings Clause challenge to acquisition and use of real estate)
- Fall v. LA Fitness, 161 F. Supp.3d 601 (S.D. Ohio 2016) (obtaining denial of injunction and dismissal of public accommodations (Title II) discrimination claims)
- Ginn v. Stonecreek Dental Care, 2015-Ohio-1600 (12th) (upholding dismissal of tortious interference with business relations claim arising out of employee non-competition agreement).
- LSC, LLC v. Fitness & Sports Clubs, LLC, 2015 WL 5194581 (E.D. Ky.) (successfully defending commercial tenant’s lease termination rights)
- Kidz Bop LLC v. Broadhead, 2015-Ohio-3744 (1st Ct. App. ) (obtaining and preserving judgment for civil fraud)
- Abel v. Austin, 411 S.W.3d 728 (Ky. 2013) (preserving dismissal of law firm from professional liability allegations related to fen-phen class action settlements)
- In re Buttermilk Towne Center, LLC, 2010 WL 5559411 (E.D. Ky. Bankr. 2010) (addressing post- bankruptcy petition commercial rent obligations)
- Shaheen v. Yonts, 294 Fed. Appx. 224 (6th 2010) (preserving dismissal of college fraternity member in wrongful death case)
- Nilavar v. Mercy Health System-Western Ohio, 244 Fed. App’x 690 (6th Cir. 2007) (upholding exclusion of opponent’s antitrust economics expert and summary judgment for healthcare defendants)
- CBG Biotech, Ltd. v. United Healthcare Ins. Co. of Ohio, 2007 WL 642070 (N.D. Ohio 2007) (defeating request to enjoin withdrawal of health insurance coverage in light of application misrepresentations.
- Daimler Chrysler Corp. v. Cuno, 547 U.S. 332 (2006) (addressing U.S. Constitution’s Commerce Clause and its impact on state tax incentive and economic development programs ) (representing Chambers of Commerce for Cincinnati, Northern Kentucky, Louisville, Nashville, Knoxville, Memphis, Chattanooga, Johnson City/Jonesborough/Washington County, and Kingsport)
- Gentile v. Fifth Ave. Otolaryngology, Inc., Case No. 4:05 CV 2936 (N.D. Ohio 2006) (obtaining dismissal of federal antitrust claims based upon antitrust standing and antitrust injury).
- Nilavar v. Mercy Health System-Western Ohio, 494 F. Supp.2d 604 (S.D. Ohio 2005) (obtaining defense summary judgment in antitrust action based upon product market definitions and antitrust injury).
- Graceworks Lutheran Services
- Member of the Nominating Committee (2021 – Present)
- President of the Board (2013-2016, 2017-2020)
- Secretary of the Board (2016 – 2017)
- Member of the Board (2011-present)
- Mariemont Athletic Boosters
- Member of the Board (2014-2017)
- Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd, Kenwood, Ohio
- President of Council (2010-2012)
- Member of Council (2007-2012)
- Lutheran Campus Ministry Foundation of Greater Cincinnati
- President of Board of Directors (2008-2012)
- Member of Board of Directors (2000-2012)
- Author of chapter “Insurance Coverage and Disputes” in Infectious Disease Litigation: Science, Law & Procedure, American Bar Association’s Section of Litigation (2021).
- Cincinnati Regional Co-chair, “Precision Advocacy” continuing education seminar sponsored by the American Bar Association’s Section of Litigation, April 20, 2017.
- “The Defend Trade Secrets Act: Federal Protection for Trade Secrets,” presentation to Intellectual Property Litigation Committee of the Cincinnati Bar Association, May 24, 2016.
- “IP Lawyers’ Guide to Noncompetes and Trade Secrets,” presentation to Intellectual Property Litigation Committee of the Cincinnati Bar Association, October 20, 2014.
- “Winning the Jury’s Attention: Trial with Fewer Errors,” author of book review for American Bar Association’s Litigation News (Vol. 39, No. 4; Summer 2014).
- Co-editor with Bradley Nelson, Business Torts: A Practical Guide to Litigation, American Bar Association’s First Chair Press (2014).
- “Noncompete Agreements in a Changing Economy,” Ohio State Bar Assn’s Corporate Counsel Institute, Oct. 5, 2012.
- Co-author of Ohio chapter of “Trade Secrets and Agreements Not to Compete: A State-by-State Compendium,” The DRI Defense Library Series, 2009.
- “Employee Non-Competition Agreements: Making Sense of Conflicting States’ Laws,” Southwest Ohio Chapter of Association of Corporate Counsel, Cincinnati, OH, June 28, 2007.
- “Trade Secrets for HR personnel,” presentation for Employers’ Resource Association, Cincinnati, OH, Nov. 21, 2006.
- Co-author of Ohio Chapter of “Unfair Trade Practices: A Compendium of State Law,” The DRI Defense Library Series, 2005.
- “Parents Interfering with Their Children’s Business: Are Parent Corporations Liable for Terminating Subsidiaries’ Contracts,” ABA Business Torts Journal, Fall 2002.